Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Chocolate and Dirt




I am ALWAYS looking for ways to get enough protein into my diet. I'm restricted to about 500 calories a day. My doc recommends eating at least 60 grams of protein each day....have you ever tried to get that much protein in that few calories? It's tough. You have to be SO careful what you eat. Also one of the joys of gastric bypass is that if you don't eat enough protein, it stalls your weight loss and makes your hair fall out. Super.

One of my friends at work recommended I try the Atkins Advantage bars. They have pretty low calories for the 10+ grams of protein. I've tried pretty much all of them and found the one I like the best is the double chocolate caramel.
I'll admit, in the past I was a chocolate snob. If it wasn't "good" chocolate, I wasn't wasting my time with it. Since I haven't eaten sugar, bread or any simple carbs for 4 months, my standards have lowered significantly. I'm aware of this, but I also weigh 88 pounds less than I did while eating "good" chocolate, so hey, it's worth it.
About two weeks ago, Lisa was at my mom's house and was looking for snacks to take with her to work. I suggested one of my protein bars and she took it with her. Apparently it took her two weeks to work up the courage to try it.

She reports it's the most disgusting thing she's ever eaten. That it tastes like a combination of chocolate milk powder and dirt. Eh, that's because her standards are too high. She'd find it luscious too if she hadn't been corrupted with my mom's delicious home made brownies and sugar in general. I know they're no European chocolate or mint truffles (TRUST ME, I KNOW!!!!) But, with how I eat now, they are a luscious extravagance, and I'm fine with that.

I bought a bunch of high protein shakes and protein bars at costco today. I'm really going to try and ramp up my protein and water intake. (I had a clump of hair fall out in my hands today...and no, *sob* I don't want to talk about it)

2 comments:

  1. I feel you about the hair! Mine has changed drastically, and it will never be the same. It is the cost I paid to be healthier, and as long as I continue to hold weight off, I try not to complain about my hair.
    I hated all the atkins stuff. I tried it, it grossed me out. I do love the muscle milk light from costco. Best protein shake I have ever tried. I have always had a hard time with breakfast, so this is an awesome substitute for breakfast and it has 20g of protein!
    The apraxia walk is a walk. you can register through the link on my site I believe. I am really not sure how far the walk is, but I want to support my nephew! Thanks for being interested!!! You are simply amazing!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHA!Thank goodness you got to try them AFTER already giving up the other "good" chocolates. I tried a free sample at Sam's Club one day with no real expectation and literally started choking and had to spit it out! LOL! :) But if you don't mind the taste and it gets you that very important protein you need, by all means, ENJOY! Just try not to compare or think of the good chocolate (unless of course that helps make these bars taste better). :D

    ReplyDelete