Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

Thursday, April 7, 2011

New Goal




I've been trying to come up with a new fitness goal for myself. I have found that I love jogging and riding my bike. LOVE. So my new goal is to run a 5k (and finish.) I've signed up. It's June 1. Gulp. That's something big to motivate me.

I must explain the picture. I posted on facebook and asked people to share their favorite upbeat exercise songs with a positive message. One of my friends suggested "Eye of the Tiger." I googled the word "goal" and that is one of the first pictures that came up. It seemed oddly appropriate. (anyone else having workout song ideas post a message. I'll post my final playlist.)

I started training for the 5k today. I suck. I don't mean that in a tear yourself down to be funny kind of way, I mean it in the "accept yourself for who you are" kind of way. I did 9 laps around the track which is the equivalent of 1 mile. I jogged about 1/2 of each lap, so if you lump that all together, I probably jogged 1/2 mile. 5k races are just over 3 miles. It's a good thing I've got a couple of months.

3 comments:

  1. That is a great goal! My brother roped me into a 5K two years ago and it was fun. I thought I would be the very last one to finish because I knew I would have to walk the whoe way, but I wasn't. So many people were just walking... many with their kids... little kids. It opened my eyes to a whole new possibility for both myself and my family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've probably heard of this before, but I found it really helpful for me when I was getting back into running. http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
    There are also lots of different podcasts people have made with music (or not) to help you stay on track. It gradually has you work up to running 3 miles in two months.
    Congrats on all your hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you like running, you'll love a 5K! I ditto what Sheila said, races are so much fun and so low pressure! You will not be the last one to finish and you'll have a great time. I wish more people would sign up for one, just to be in the fun, exciting, and welcoming atmosphere. You're going to do great!

    ReplyDelete