Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Easy Way.



A couple of weeks ago, my kids and I went camping with my parents. At their house, it's always a struggle to find anything to eat. Camping, it's a different story! The fridge is packed with giant symphony bars and peanut butter cups, m&ms and all different kinds of yogurt. The cupboards are filled with cheetos and brownies. I resisted all the temptation, until the second day. In the past, the symphony chocolate bar with toffee and almonds was one of my favorite things.

I peeled back the wrapper of the big symphony bar and broke off a very small peice. It was about 1/4 of 1 of the little squares. I bit into it, expecting to taste total luciousness. It was gross. Not only was it way too sweet, it just tasted weird to me. I actually grabbed a bottle of water and started drinking to try and get the taste out of my mouth.

After that, I got dumping syndrome for the first time. Since my surgery, I haven't had any sugar really other than natural sugars. I definately haven't had chocolate. I realized that subtracting it from my life taught me that other foods tasted WAY better than those things I craved.



Speaking of surgery, my husband came home last night from hanging out with his family and started telling me how members of his family were ripping on me for "taking the easy way out." I started laughing. He looked at me like I had aliens coming out of my ears and said "Aren't you mad?" I laughed and just said "Nope. Way to go! He's doing it the hard way, and he's fat! Wow he sure showed me!"

I find it interesting and funny that many people who are heavier look at gastric bypass as the easy way out. It's not. It's honestly the hardest and best thing that I've ever done for myself! Lots of time I tell people that I've had surgery and then I describe the foods that I can eat, and they say "I'd rather be fat."

I can eat 2-4 ounces per meal. 1 oz is the medicine cups that you get at a hospital. Very small. I can eat meat, veggies, cheese, yogurts and...that's about it, no pasta, no rice, no potatoes and no corn. I also exercise a minimum of an hour each day. (5 days a week)

Super easy don't you think?

1 comment:

  1. I love this Lauralee. I've never yet had anyone actually say I took the easy way to weight loss, but I have got the "o-o-h" comment with "the look". And then the person will say, "Well, I'm doing Weight Watchers (or just diet and exercise, or whatever)." Invariably, they have not lost what I have lost.

    You keep at it - you are doing great!

    ReplyDelete