Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Lofty Goals

I've been reflecting on my life and the beginning of my weightloss journey wondering why things worked so well then, I've relized that it was because of lofty goals. When I started this journey, one of my first goals was to run a 5k. I didn't say this goal out loud until much later, but I've always wanted to be a runner. I'm not, I'm still not, but running makes me feel good.

I trained for my 5k, I never quite made it to the 3.2 miles running beforehand. I ran it, well most of it and I didn't come in last, and really that was my criteria for myself.

I didn't finish in record time, my cousins finished a good 20 minutes before me, but I ran, I didn't come in last, and I beat the girls in purple, who started out quite a bit a head of me. I was happy with my results. I really haven't run since my 5k. I about killed myself that day and have forgotten the joys of running. I bike all the time, but just haven't run in awhile.

Last night one of my friends asked me to run a 1/2 marathon in October. Now, if ever there was a lofty goal, that is one! But it seems just as achievable as a 5k seemed to a girl that weighed 360 pounds. I figure, if a 360 pound girl can train for a 5k, why can't a girl that weighs 220 train for a half marathon? Speaking of which, 220 is my lowest weight that I have ever weighed in my adult life and I'm there. I'm several sizes smaller than the last time I weighed 220. Which is wonderful and odd.

Anyways, I started training for the half marathon yesterday. When I started training for my 5k I couldn't even make it 1/4 of a lap at the gym (1 lap is 1/8 of a mile)

I haven't run since June, but I've been biking and excercising consistently. That all being said, I ran 1 mile without stopping on my first night of training. I feel pretty good with that!

3 comments:

  1. Awesome! You can do it!

    This post rings true to me...I love running but actually haven't run for a long time. The last time I ran was when I did my first half marathon, over a year ago. Hehe, I could copy your sentence "I about killed myself that day and have forgotten the joys of running".

    A seasoned runner told me, once you finish a race, sign right up for the next one. That keeps you motivated. Well, I didn't and now I don't know if I can get back into it. You are doing that and I'm excited for you, and a bit jealous. ;)

    You can do a half marathon. Stick to your training schedule and you'll get there. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, go you! I am so impressed. I have never been a runner, either, and am not so sure I want to be one, but I am so proud of you for going for it!

    ReplyDelete