Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

Monday, September 3, 2012

Updates and goals

About a week ago, I called my doctor and told him that I was worried I had infection.  On my right side, there was redness, pain, it was warm to the touch and was leaking lots of fluid and occasionally yellow puss.  I had a fever and diarhea. 

I have a medical background and knew all signs pointed to infection.

The doctor said that drainage was normal, to leave it exposed if possible and come in early if I needed. 

Well, Friday night, I went to bed and the shooting pains started.  I am pretty tough, and I was crying like a baby, or at least a little girl.

I had been taking just a half lortab every eight or so hours to manage pain.   I took two lortab (it was ordered 2 every 4 hours) and it didn't touch my pain.

I got up to use the restroom and looked at my incision in the mirror.  There was a lump the size of a golf ball on my incision at my right hip.

Chad wanted me to go to the ER right then, but I am stubborn. 

The pain continued but started to also radiate to my legs.  I have bruises all over my legs and I knew it was one of two things.  Either 1. infection or 2. blood clots.

I realized it was most likely infection, and I can handle a little puss.  I can't handle pain of that magnitude.  Chad won and at midnight we headed to the ER.

We drove to Lakeview hospital because if something bad was going to happen to me, I wanted to be at Lakeview.

My doctor was very aggressive with my treatment.  I got IV antibiotics and when I finally got sent home, he sent me two other antibiotics. 

The worst part was that they pushed on the infected area to get puss out to culture.  That was the worst pain I have ever felt.  I literally almost passed out.

Following that, they gave me morphine, which was magic!  My pain went away and I was able to sleep.

They kept us for quite awhile.  I was so thankful to get out!  We stopped for a late breakfast (ok, kind of a late brunch) and then went home to sleep.

This may sound crazy,  but I am still so thankful I got the surgery.  I am also thankful for my husband that has pampered me for two weeks!

Today, I was up for about 6 hours. I was able to make dinner.  I made a spicy chicken curry with rice and homemade naan.  It was wonderful and it was great to be eating natural foods again.

My new goal is to slowly start exercising again.   The inactivity is killing me....figuratively and literally.  I plan to go to the gym tomorrow.  I may only make it 10 minutes on an elliptical,  but I have got to do it!!!

2 comments:

  1. Oh gosh. Awful. I'm glad you're on the mend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to know what your surgeon's response was to the hospital ER's report! And what did the ER say was the probable cause of the infection? This just really boggles my mind....

    ReplyDelete