Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

Thursday, April 19, 2012

The changes we make and why

Jonah reminds me of me.  He is fun and sassy and just awesome.  Last week he came home from school with a health assessment from headstart.  He has gained 11 pounds since he has started school.  His bmi is 32.  Higher than mine.  I will be honest, I cried.  No one knows the pain of an obese childhood better than me.   I don't want him to get teased, I don't want him to feel bad about himself.  I weighed him to see how much and to see if the school was right.  68 pounds, to which he shouted "yay, I am growing up.".
I dont want him to feel ashamed but a change needs to be made. 

We have decided that this is a change that is going to be made as a family.

I already eat very, very healthy.  I have strong will power and just don't eat the junk. 

I have allowed my kids to eat some junk because I figured they are kids...

This week, I went through the cupboards and got rid of all processed foods.  EVERYTHING.

I bought balls and we are going to play outside together for an hour a night.

Video games are restricted to an hour a week on saturdays. 

I have startes packing home lunches with healthy and nutritious food.

Here's to hoping these changes will be enough to make an impact.


3 comments:

  1. I am right there with you. I would be DEVASTATED if my children suffer the way I have and have lost opportunities like I have because of their weight.

    Sometimes I feel like a hypocrite telling them to eat healthy since I am obese, but I will be damned if I don't break this cycle of obesity for my kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am soooo proud of you!!!! I read something today that applies not just to overall mental health, but to the attitude we have toward food and eating: It is better to build up a child than to repair an adult. What kids learn now will shape their health habits later. GO MOMS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray for you, Lauralee! Kids can make this change to a healthy lifestyle more easily, simply because they are kids. What great things you are doing to teach your boys better habits!

    ReplyDelete