Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Perception


Week 38


This weight loss journey has been relatively short so far. It's just been 9 months since I had gastric bypass, but life has changed so significantly for me. I can't even begin to describe it. I've talked a lot about the physical and emotional changes that I have experienced, but one thing I haven't talked about is how others treat me.

I know it doesn't need to be said, but I am the same person, just minus 151 pounds. For some reason, people treat me differently. I'm not sure if it's because I carry myself differently or if it's just because of how fat I was. Somehow my ideas are better, I am smarter and more interesting.

I'm also much cooler. People who didn't care to be my friend before, now go out of their way to talk to me and associate with me. It's interesting.

There are also friends I had when I was fat, who choose not to associate with me or be friends with me. That's hard. I didn't realize how many friendships I had where I was the token fat chick that made the said individual feel better about themselves.





The top picture is a picture that Logan drew of me on his magnadoodle that was the week before surgery, the bottom pic is a picture that he drew today.

I really wish people could have seen me before. Not the fat fat fat Lauralee: me. I am awesome now. I was awesome then. I'm just skinnier now.

3 comments:

  1. Lauralee, I have always thought you were AWESOME! I see what you're saying though. Isn't sad that not everyone can see the real us for their biases. Stay AWESOME!
    Glad to call you my friend!
    Love ya,
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, Yeah...I've been meaning to tell you...now that you're skinny I'm not sure that we should be friends any more! :P I ♥ you, skinny or fat or way skinny or way fat! You are amazing and I'm so glad that this journey is bringing out so much strength in you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never did know the "fat fat fat Lauralee," but I know I would have loved you then no matter what. I became acquainted with you online less than two months after your surgery and I have always seen you as an awesome lady, a fabulous role model, and a great friend. I have loved seeing the change in your attitude about yourself and about life. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete