Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

Monday, May 7, 2012

The moral

I ride the bus and train from work every day.  There is an older woman i see on occassion there.  She spoke to me the other day and said she noticed I had lost weight.  She asked me what I was doing.

This is always where I make the decision if I am going to explain that I have had RNY gastric bypass.  In the beginning I told every one.  I have always been a very open person.  Also I was inspired to look into gastric bypass after seeing my friend nicole.  Her before and after still inspires me.   I have grown weary of "the look.".  People look at me with disappointment and have even said I took the "easy way out."

I will be honest,  i am a little more guarded with who I tell.  I have lost 185 pounds via gastric bypass and a lot of hard work.  I don't think that i need to justify or defend myself!  No matter how it was done, 185 pounds is pretty good!

I am thankful I told this lady on the train.  We talked a minute about the changes in my life.  Then she asked me a personal question.

"What's the moral of the story?"

"What?" I asked, not really certain of her meaning.

She was an older lady, and she adjusted her glasses before speaking again.

"What is the biggest lesson you have learned in losing weight?"

The answer was simple, but worth sharing:  "Nothing you put into your body is worth the overall health of your body.  Food is fuel.  It can be enjoyed but needs to be nutrious or there is no sense in putting it in your mouth."

She thought for a second and seemed surprised. I think she expected something much more grand. She said "So that's it? The biggest lesson you've learned?" I laughed and said, "Everyone knows that, but it's a hard lesson to really learn. Cake is delicious, so is chocolate. Learning to love myself and my body more than chocolate is a big accomplishment. You're talking to a fat chick here!" She smiled, and said, "No, actually I'm not." We chatted and she got off the train shortly after that. She thanked me for giving her inspiration. I should have thanked her for making me verbalize that lesson. It's just what I needed that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment